About the Course
From 1999 to 2002, David Farland taught a popular science fiction and fantasy creative writing class at Brigham Young University. Some of his students from those classes went on to make millions.
- Brandon Sanderson took it twice and has become one of the bestselling fantasy writers of our time.
- Dan Wells also took it, and he became one of the bestselling writers of dark fantasy of the past three decades.
- Stephenie Meyer took it and asked in a private consultation “How do I write the bestselling young adult novel of all time?” The book she penned has sold over 250 million copies in 37 different languages.
Who is David Farland
Course and Lecture Structure
"Each class will begin with a lecture, and I will have three quizzes, and three shorter two-page exercise assignments, too. So, I might ask you for example to create a character sheet for a single character, or to read a story so that you can understand a certain principle. But these assignments won’t take more than a couple of hours per week, and we won’t have them on most weeks. "
"We will divide you into critique groups for assignments so that you will have three other people whose work you will need to critique or brainstorm."
How Long is the Course?
The thirty classes will cover a multitude of topics on creative writing and the writing business. Here are some of the sample titles:
- What it Takes to Be a Professional Writer
- Brainstorming Like a Pro
- The Power of Setting
- Creating the Perfect Cast
- Focusing on Individual Characters
- Conflicts—The Engines of Your Story
- Treatment—Style, Tone, Voice
- How to Plot a Tale
- Composing Well, Fast, and Fun
- Hooking and Holding Your Reader
- Five Keys to Reaching a Massive Audience
- Designing a Great Scene
- Writing Powerful Dialog
- How Traditional Publishing Really Works
- Publishing Indie
- How to Make a Million—Strategies for Middle Grade, Young Adult, Genre Writers
- Screenwriting and the Film Business
- The Hollywood Greenlighting Process
- How films are Financed, Produced, and Distributed
- Income Streams for Writers
- And more!
What's the price?
The price for taking the the recordings of Farland's signature class will be $997.
The class curriculum is somewhat subject to change, but we’ll cover a wide range of information on writing, publishing, and marketing books.
The first class,” explains how writers make a living in this business and also tells why most of them fail.
We’ll then move in week two to brainstorming like a pro.
We’ll then study worldbuilding, characterization, developing your conflicts for books, and plotting novels—from simple short novels to epics.
We’ll advance to exercises on how to write completely immersive fiction that involves all of the senses.
From there, we’ll talk about how to submit novels for publication, and go into techniques for marketing your books.
We’ll then branch out into how to sell ancillary rights to your intellectual properties, including audiobooks, electronic book rights, foreign rights, videogames, and film—both movies and television series
There’s a reason why the lecture time on this is 30 hours!
I hope you join us. Over the years I’ve had dozens of writers say, “I wish I could have been in that 318R class.” Well, now you can, but I can’t guarantee that this will go on forever.
- Lesson 1: What It Takes To Be A Professional (Dave) (79:46)
- Lesson 2: Brainstorming (Dave) (77:01)
- Lesson 3: The Power of Setting (Kary) (132:01)
- Lesson 4: Creating the Perfect Cast (Rafael) (120:25)
- Lesson 5: Focusing on Individual Characters (Martin) (156:24)
- Lesson 6: How to Plot a Tale (Rafael) (130:40)
- Lesson 7: Conflicts - The Engines of Your Story (Rafael) (110:02)
- Lesson 8: Treatment - Style, Tone, Voice (Martin) (124:41)
- Lesson 9: Taking Your Reader into Deep Hypnosis (Rafael) (110:28)
- Lesson 10: Emotional Beats (102:15)
- Lesson 11: Hooking and Holding Your Reader (92:21)
- Lesson 12: Composing Well, Fast, and Fun (132:51)
- Lesson 13: Narration and Exposition (110:44)
- Lesson 14: Weaving, Braiding, and Stacking Plots (109:25)
- Lesson 15: Description - Beyond the Basics (Kary) (88:29)
- Lesson 16: Five Keys to Reaching a Massive Audience (128:36)
- Q & A with Rafael 05_15_22 (106:09)
- Lesson 17: Plotting a Multi-Million Dollar Series (124:41)
- Lesson 18: Writing Powerful Dialogue (122:09)
- Lesson 19: How Traditional Publishing Really Works (144:46)
- Lesson 20: Editing (104:26)
- Lesson 21: Publishing Indie (139:36)
- Lesson 22: Income Streams for Writers (165:05)
- Lesson 23: Screenwriting and the Film Business (78:27)
- Lesson 24: The Hollywood Greenlighting Process (97:51)
- Lesson 25 Rewriting to Greatness (123:54)
- Q & A with Rafael #2 (82:20)
- Lesson 26: An Author's Strategy for Long-Term Global Success (131:29)
- Lesson 28: Heinlein's Rules (149:57)
- Lesson 29: How to Stay Organized as a Writer and the Mental Battle (111:06)
- Lesson 30: Best Seller Strategies for Trad Pub (128:38)
- Lesson 31: Best Seller Strategies for Self Pub (120:54)
- Lesson 1: What It Takes To Be a Professional (78:15)
- Lesson 2: Brainstorming (78:11)
- Lesson 3: Perfecting Plot (87:52)
- Lesson 4: The Power of Setting (77:50)
- Lesson 5: Creating the Perfect Cast (61:01)
- Lesson 6: Bringing a Character to Life (77:21)
- Lesson 7: Developing Conflicts (64:56)
- Lesson 8: Treatment, Tone, Voice, and Style (58:54)
- Lesson 9: 5 Keys to Reaching a Massive Audience (61:54)
- Lesson 10: Weaving, Braiding, and Stacking Plots (62:35)
- Lesson 11: How and Why Plots Really Work (67:15)
- Lesson 12: Hooking and Holding Your Reader (49:02)
- Lesson 13: Composing Well, Fast, and Fun (77:22)
- Lesson 14: Description Beyond the Basics (75:28)
- Lesson 15: Writing Unforgettable Dialogue (72:04)
- Lesson 16: Narration and Exposition (56:41)
- Lesson 17: Taking Your Reader into Deep Hypnosis (41:11)
- Lesson 18: Plotting a Billion Dollar Series (65:26)
- Lesson 19: How Traditional Publishing Works (106:09)
- Lesson 20: Publishing Indie (97:02)
- Lesson 21: The Broken Narrative Technique (47:55)
- Lesson 22: Going Hollywood (74:20)
- Lesson 23: Film Production Basics (57:49)
- Lesson 24: Income Streams for Writers (58:36)
- Lesson 25: An Author's Strategy for Long-Term, Global Success (110:37)